Monday, September 26, 2011

Process

ferocious
 "Show your work." was a constant refrain from my teachers over the years.

The math teachers didn't like to see just a number for an answer. The English teachers didn't like an essay that didn't have a rough draft (preferably with research index cards included).

I didn't want to show my work.

When you ask a magician, "How did you do that?", the answer is of course, "Magic!". We are willing to accept that.  Why can't the answer just be, "seven" and leave it at that?

On the other hand I am a big fan of behind-the-scenes. I love to watch short manufacturing films.

The pencil sketches portion of a major art exhibit is usually my favorite part.


So, here is a glimpse of my process.




7 comments:

Tommy said...

I don't do 'work.' I don't do sketches. I never did sketches. Sometimes I'll do a cartoon, in the classic sense of the word.

I like this, but I hate Maurice Sendak. All capitalists, for that matter.

Nailed said...

Moira, if I were your professor you would get an A.

roberto M. said...

good job, congratulations!

artlover said...

I understand not jumping to the end, the process of getting there is the experience. I hate my work when it's finished. however, I never liked "show your work" it's not the same for each person. I love sendak! And this is you, a moment in the life of...

Tommy said...

On the other hand, Michelangelo always destroyed his 'work' and the few surviving examples show him to be one of the greatest draughtsmen (no, it's not a typo, you stupid program) who ever lived.

atlanticmo said...

Thanks, I am happy to be a part of a thread that includes Sendak and Michaelangelo.

Anonymous said...

Love the simplicity & efficiency of your linework, and I love that the kitty finds the boy ferocious. So cute. also, I'm very fond of looking at an artist's process so thanks for sharing :)