Monday, May 9, 2011

wanted

A few years back, I was in the wedding party of friend. I had been looking forward to this wedding for a while. It was the first time my baby daughter was going to sleep over at my sister's.  I was back to my regular dress size.  My husband and I booked a hotel room. We would have the whole night to party. Woo Hoo!

Well, I threw my own wet blanket on myself by figuring out that I was pregnant with our second child.  It was about a two days before the blessed event that the reality of my situation started to come to light.  I was barely pregnant. I hadn't even taken the over-the-counter test, but I knew.

I decided to keep it secret for the time being.

My plan was to order seltzer with lime so it would look like I was having gin and tonics. Later, when I was ready for bed by 9:30pm it wouldn't seem so strange.

As I was dancing around with my daughter's secret sister or brother, it occurred to me that both the bride and the groom had only one sibling.

She had a brother and he had a sister. I was trying to imagine what that would be like. I have three sisters and a brother. The one of each deal is much more common than the variety pack of five, but it is a weird concept for me.

I know that not every kid who comes from a big family has a good experience. I also know that the size of your family doesn't give you a better experience, only different. To quote your middle school English teacher, "quality not quantity".

I can't really imagine it though, just like a twin can't imagine being a single.  Absolutly everything about my life would be different.

These are the kinds of things you obsess about when you are pregnant at a wedding, where you are not drinking and the banquet chicken cannot be served fast enough.

At one point I turned to my mother, who was also in attendance and is one of seven kids. I nodded towards my newly wed friends and their siblings.  I asked her, "Can you imagine having only one sibling?"

She replied, "Can you imagine not having any?".

I put my hand on my belly and for the first time that day felt happy about my expectant state.

No comments: